Are you wondering if you need a protein powder or a ready-to-go shake? And if so, what’s the best one for you? There are SO many options on the market, & I agree it can be overwhelming. So how do you determine which is a good choice for you & if you need to use one? Keep reading!
First off, remember that real food should always be prioritized over protein powders or shake supplements. They aren’t designed to be full meal replacements all the time & your body prefers to get its nutrients from whole foods first.
Next, you’ll want to identify your protein needs & the purpose for the supplementation. Ask yourself, “have I tried to improve my diet with food, training, water & sleep habits?” These foundational issues should be addressed FIRST before layering on supplements. If you can fully meet all your protein needs from whole foods alone, then stick with that!
Lastly, if you decide that you’d benefit from a protein powder or shake, remember, there are TONS of protein options available. With that being said, we could never sift one by one through them. Therefore, I find it valuable to keep these things in mind when reviewing the product labels & deciding which to buy on your own:
- Aim for 15-25 grams of protein per serving (*depending on your health & nutrition goals)
- Try to choose an option with at least 3 grams of fiber (*may not reach the full fiber amount with whey protein options)
- Keep it under 5 grams of added sugars
- Look for a short ingredient list with recognizable words
- Be aware of excessive amounts of artificial sweeteners & sugar alcohols which can contribute to digestive issues (*some are okay though if they work for you)
As I said, there are lots that would fit these guidelines, but here are some that I’d recommend & have had some of my clients use & enjoy:
- Plant-based or whey protein powders: Orgain, Truvani, Vega, Aloha, Garden of Life, Simply Tera’s
- Ready-to-drink protein shakes: Orgain, OWYN, Iconic, Aloha
Need help figuring out a protein plan for you? Don’t know where to start? I can help! Hit REPLY – I’d love to chat more about you & your goals. Talk soon!