Breakfast… “breaking” the “fast” is your most important meal of the day! Why? Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism. Food is your body’s fuel, and in order to get that furnace running, you must feed it routinely, especially in the morning!
A balanced breakfast also gives you energy, helps you focus at work, improves your mood, and allows you to make better meal choices for the remainder of the day. People that skip breakfast tend to overeat later in the day.
If you skip breakfast, you are not alone. Many individuals skip their morning meal because they are rushing to get out the door to get to work, take the kids to school, run errands, or attend appointments. Not enough time in the morning to throw a meal together? Then set aside time in the evening to prep breakfast for the next day. Or better yet, meal prep a full week’s worth of breakfasts on Sunday.
However, not all breakfast food is created equally! As tempting as it may be, resist that pastry or doughnut. These types of sweets won’t keep you satisfied, and you’ll end up craving more sugar later in the day. Your best bet is to focus on a mix of foods that have quality carbohydrates, lean protein, healthy fats, and fiber! This balance will give you energy for now and later and will keep you feeling fuller, longer.
Need some breakfast inspiration? Here are some balanced choices to build into your routine today!
- Whole grain cereal with low-fat milk and fruit
- Smoothie made from low-fat Greek yogurt, fruit, vegetables, and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- Egg muffin cups (scrambled eggs with veggies like mushrooms, spinach, and tomato placed into muffin tins & baked for 20 minutes around 375-400 degrees F); great for reheating!
- Egg sandwich or wrap (scrambled or easy-over eggs on a whole wheat English muffin or whole wheat tortilla with veggies and low-fat cheese)
- Avocado spread on top of whole grain toast, topped with an easy-over egg
- Veggie omelet with fruit
- Oatmeal with nuts or seeds, berries, and low-fat milk
- Greek yogurt with nuts or seeds and berries
So, what are you going to make for breakfast?
Looking to build a healthier lifestyle? Schedule your complimentary Discovery Call today by clicking HERE. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!