It’s National Nutrition Month again… a great time to discover your path to a healthier eating style. This year’s theme is Eat Right, Bite by Bite. Nutrition doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Each “bite” in the right direction can be helpful for you. Small changes lead to big results down the line. Consistency is key… here’s how to get going with small “bites”…
- Eat more fruits and veggies – focus on filling your cart with different colors, textures, and flavors. Try something new. Look for what’s on sale, and find a recipe to use it. Fresh, frozen, and canned can all be great ways to eat more produce… just watch for those “added” sugars, salts, and preservatives not found naturally in the product. So, read that ingredients label!
- Plan healthier snacks – you need to snack during the day to help curb hunger & bridge the gap between meals. Snacking is a great time to eat whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean protein, or low-fat dairy. Basically anything you’d eat for a meal, you could eat for a snack. Travel a lot? Pack snacks to go! You won’t be disappointed and won’t need to run through a fast-food drive-thru.
- Limit added sugars – naturally found sugars in fruits and dairy are great… it is those added ones that you need to look out for. Luckily, with the new and improved nutrition facts label, ADDED SUGARS are now required to be spelled out… meaning easier for consumers like you to look up what is in your foods. Are you a soda drinker? Opt for more water to quench that thirst – one of the easiest ways to cut out sugar.
- Flavor foods with less salt – use fresh or dried herbs instead. You can retrain your taste buds to enjoy less salt and crave different flavors like garlic, pepper, oregano, basil, or cayenne. Remember, take it one day, meal, or “bite” at a time.
- Be mindful of portion sizes – SLOW DOWN when eating and avoid distractions. Try to put all electronics away during meals and snacks. Focus on each bite and truly enjoy the food you are eating. Pay attention to your hunger cues and figure out if you are eating out of hunger or boredom.
Wanting to make a change… don’t stress! Take a small step in the right direction, and each little change will get you closer to your long-term goal. Need help? I’m your girl! Schedule your complimentary Discovery Call today by clicking HERE. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions!