You’ve probably heard of clean eating, but you may not know what it is exactly or how to go about cleaning up your nutrition plan.
While lots of diets out there like to eliminate specific foods, food groups, and sources of food (example: the avoidance of dairy and grains in the Paleo diet), these types of dietary patterns aren’t sustainable and don’t work for most people. As Matt Fitzgerald states in his book Diet Cults, there is no “One True Way” of eating. Instead, it is good to focus on healthy eating patterns, like clean eating, which are simple to follow, allow flexibility, and can be built into a healthy lifestyle for the long haul.
In general, the phrase “clean eating” is about eating MORE whole foods from every food group and consuming LESS processed foods coming from packages. By following this simple step, you will already be on track to eating better for your body.
Good nutrition starts with MyPlate. A great way to eat cleaner is to use the image below when creating your meals and snacks. Not every meal has to look like this, or be in these proportions, but by the end of the day, you should strive to have your overall intake match MyPlate.
Here’s what to look for in each food group:
1. Fruits – aim for more whole fruit in the fresh or frozen form; if using canned, choose those in 100% juice; choose whole fruit over juice most of the time; and try a variety of colors in your diet
2. Vegetables – aim for more whole vegetables in the fresh or frozen form; if using canned, choose no salt added; and try a variety of colors in your diet
3. Grains – aim for half your grains as “whole” grains; choose whole wheat breads, pastas, brown rice, and tortillas over their white and processed counterparts
4. Protein – aim for lean protein choices like poultry, fish, pork tenderloin and beef cuts ending in “loin” or “round”; for ground meats, choose options with at least 90% lean to 10% fat; eat more plant-based protein to consume more fiber, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats in your diet
5. Dairy – choose low-fat or fat-free options to balance your diet
Clean eating doesn’t have to be complicated. Eat all your food groups, choose better-for-you options in each food group, and enjoy!
Want more? Join Nicole Olen, RDN for a free webinar to learn how to Eat CLEAN in 5 Easy Steps and start making a positive impact on your health today. The webinar takes place on Wednesday, August 22nd at 12 pm CST. Click HERE to reserve your spot and register now! *NOTE: For Nicole’s current or previous clients whom already have a Healthie account, click HERE to reserve your spot directly. Can’t make the live version? No worries! Register & a recorded video of the session will be sent directly to your inbox!
Reach out to email@example.com with any questions!